Pepper and Mommy

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Monkey Wrench in the Plans

So, David wasn't able to ship out this time. This changed my entire food list. I've had to go back and re-work everything. So, here's my first week plan. Things are a little crazy with a tight budget, and I've got a fussy toddler who only eats certain things now, so there isn't a large variety, especially with breakfast and lunch. This will change over the next few weeks. I like to think of this as an evolving work in progress. These are some really simple dishes, making my oven work over time this week. None of these involve anything special or complicated. Next week, when things settle down I'm planning on putting a few of my favorites, such as homemade baked potato soup. This is also really simple, and sooo much better than from a can, so please check me out again next week.

Some tips for making your own food plan:

1. Start on the day you go shopping. I shop on Wednesdays or Thursdays, so my list will always start there.
2. Use the freshest food first. This applies to meats AND veggies. My chicken and beef dishes are in the beginning of the week, and my fish toward the end, as I'm using a frozen variety this week. For the veggies, I use the salad first, then my root veggies, before going to the frozen veggies at the end of the week.
3. Give yourself a no cooking day. Mine is Friday this week. Cereal for breakfast, Peanut Butter and Jelly for lunch, and then ordering out for dinner. Mom's work 24/7, I like having a day out of the kitchen once and awhile.
4. Waffles are my quick go to for a hot breakfast for mornings after I've been up doing homework late (or watching Grey's Anatomy, hence Friday being no cooking day!)
5. Normally I don't do so many pre-made lunch meals in a row, but its been a crazy few weeks, and sometimes we just need a break!
6. When you put something on the list, you can type out a shopping list at the same time. Mine are usually on the same spreadsheet.
7. If you want to save paper and ink, you can skip printing it, and keep your food list in a folder or save it as your background picture.
8. If you run out of ideas, breakfast for dinner is ALWAYS a hit!

Here's a quick idea of how I do mine without further ado.



Any questions or suggestions please email me at Melissa.Brook@hotmail.com
If anyone wants the recipes for how I prepare things please feel free to email me! Eventually I'll work up to adding them all on here as a database sort of thing. (For examples, my pop tarts are homemade, and easily done! as are my mashed potatoes, and baked carrots. 

2 comments:

  1. YAY! for the army lmbo!!! good thing they start you out knowing EXACTLY what you are getting into!! a whole lot of bull =)

    do you do anything special to your mashed potatoes? I only ask because I make mine weird =) I use 1/2 regular potatoes and 1/2 sweet potatoes since they are nutritionally better for you! but they taste like normal potatoes just healthier =) .. oh and they have that orange tint to them lol!!! but i think they taste DELICIOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a pot of boiling water, potatoes, and a fork :)

    We make mashed sweet potatoes pretty often too! We love them! White potatoes are pretty nutritionally worthless, but the sweet potatoes with a little cinnamon, and a little bit of brown sugar and butter... then throw then back in the oven and bake them for 5-10 minutes. Absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete